Research Promotion Chair
Please contact your research promotion chair for more information and questions:
Malia Powers, PE
Since 1919, ASHRAE has supported research to improve the quality of life. ASHRAE Research impacts the industry by improving the way HVAC&R systems work, how they are applied, and allow development of technical information to create standards and guidelines, which serve as the basis for testing and design practices around the world.
The Society funds thousands of projects addressing topics such as sound, duct design, the effect of oil refrigerants, load calculations, thermal conductivity, simplified energy analysis procedures, weather data, refrigerant property data, fire and smoke control, and solar design. The most significant ASHRAE research is in the areas of human comfort and the properties of materials and systems used in buildings and refrigeration systems.
How does ASHRAE Research help my health?
ASHRAE Research is working in the health arena to help:
• Prevent more than 70,000 surgical site infections that occur each year
• Decrease the spread of airborne diseases
• Improving cancer treatment methods
How does ASHRAE Research help me in the workplace?
ASHRAE Research is learning more about how commercial buildings can:
• Conserve energy in hot and humid climates
• Select boilers for efficient heat use
• Allow drifting temperatures to save energy
How does ASHRAE Research help me in my home and my children at their school?
ASHRAE Research is:
• Exploring whether temperature and air quality improve the performance
• Understanding the relationship between occupant health and ventilation rates
• Evaluating how food preservation is influenced by storage conditions
Whether it’s improving the work setting in an office building to increase productivity or providing guidelines for emerging technologies, ASHRAE Research helps engineer the world we live, creating better indoor and outdoor environments around the globe.
This would not be possible without the individuals and organizations that have chosen to support ASHRAE’s vision with their financial contributions. To continue our progress, we need your support as well. To make a donation to ASHRAE Research, please click the link below:
Contribute to ASHRAE Research Today*
*Please make sure you note “Florida West Coast Chapter” as your “Assigned ASHRAE.”